Super Droll
The Game
I guess I can eat crow for publicly picking the Seahawks to win Sunday. Blame the refs or whatever, bottom line is they didn't get it done. Gotta feel good for The Bus though, that was nice to see even if the media went overboard on that storyline during the lead up.
The Commercials
The commercials didn't really do it for me either. I think the expectations for the S.B. commercials are so high these days, that the advertisers try too hard and overreach. The Burger King commercials were a perfect example. If BK would have saved, say the commercial with the King running a bootleg on the field, that would have went over big. But the dancing girls acting as toppings on a Whopper didn't generate much reaction among the crowd I was with. I still have to check the rest online, but I did like the Hummer commercial with the two giants who had the baby Hummer. LostRemote.com posted interesting three-word reviews of Super Bowl ads.
The Hang
Those who complained about hosting a Super Bowl in a cold-weather city received their validation. Detroit was windy, snowy, cold and not conducive to hanging out and taking in all of the festivities, although that didn't stop a lot of folks. Cover charges were outrageous at most spots. The Diddy party on Friday night was $300 a pop, and ended early because it got too crowded. A buddy of mine who was there told me he had an "alright" time. An "alright" time for a $300 cover charge? Diddy better be serving me drinks at that price.
Detroit
It was kind of sad to see all of the Detroit bashing leading up to the game, although I've certainly done my share in the past. It was interesting to see the tone of the local news after it was all over. It had kind of a "Thank God we didn't screw it up" ring to it. Where's your self-esteem Detroit? Everybody now: "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!"

1 Comments:
Dag, you Detroiters are so sensitive... I was actually complimentary.. sort of. No, I've never lived in Detroit, but I have lived in Cincinnati, which I referred to Detroit, Jr. There's a city on track to reach the same level of urban blight in about 15 years...
Post a Comment
<< Home